Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fertility Goddess or Friggin' Cow?


Aloha everyone!

A few nights ago I was talking to Jim and he asked if I've been taking pictures of the belly, to which I replied (slightly horrified) that I absolutely was not because I feel enormous and disgusting. I am simply not one of those women who feel beautiful and mystically wonderful, like they could jump from roof to roof in a neighborhood of rice paper houses. I feel like something more akin to the anvil they drop on Wile E. Coyote's head in the road runner cartoons. So no, I hadn't been taking any pictures of myself lately.

After that conversation I got to thinking that while I feel odiously huge right now, when this is all over and I have a beautiful baby and (someday) my figure back, I will probably wish I had taken some pictures of the whole expansion process. So last night, I did. And in case you haven't put two and two together yet (and if you haven't I hope my baby turns out smarter than you) the picture above is my belly. My belly. My belly. MY belly.

When I looked at the picture I was shocked. Startled. Aghast. That is MY belly? You see, I have been avoiding looking at my side profile in mirrors lately so looking at the picture - especially after I cut my head out of it (due to an unsightly mess above my neck) - and realizing it looked like it could be anyone's body was quite an awakening. This baby is in my stomach, not floating around in the secret magical realm of fetuses but in my stomach, growing at an alarming rate. As am I. This is going to take some getting used to.

Although the thought of being pregnant and becoming a mother no longer freaks me out, looking at this picture freaks me out. I'm going to have to look at my side profile regularly from now on to avoid a repeat occurrence of this event.

So, enjoy the picture, and also please enjoy having control over your body. :)

Lastly, I would like you all to know that nothing would please me more than to have the baby come out with Auntie Laura's head.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your belly looks so small compared to all the pregnant ladies I see at work! But I am super happy to hear that you are going with midwives. Such a good personal experience. And your blog is awesome, I look every other day to see if there has been any update. Im positive you will shrink right back to the way you looked before you became pregnant! Well Im going to call you, get you out of the house, go for a walk! Im sure your baby would like some fresh air! Aliitle sun will do you some good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely belly Kim! I miss you. When do I get to hear about the first Midwives appointment!

    ReplyDelete