Thursday, April 22, 2010

Week 19 ...almost over the hump!

Well, this week has been a fun, exciting, tiring and interesting one. Grab some popcorn!

First things first, Jim arrived on Sunday (he surprised me by coming a day early!) and just left this evening. We had four days together of relaxing, eating, walking, movie-watching, talking, ultrasound-ing, decision making and thoroughly enjoying the time we had together. It was wonderful. He arrived Sunday evening and we ordered pizza and spent the night talking and relaxing. On Monday we went to the island so Jim could experience the deliciousness of Gilbertson's. Afterwards we explored the island for awhile, during which time Jim gave me a nice driving lesson and I didn't kill a single squirrel or mailbox. We went to Solo for dinner. On Tuesday we took a walk in Hiawatha, went to the ultrasound (details further down) then to dinner at North 82, where Jim met my closest friends (those who reside in the Sault, of course). Afterwards we rented a movie and went to bed! On Wednesday we went to the mall so Jim could buy some jeans and so I could use the public washroom a couple times and eat gelato! We went to Bellevue Park for a walk after that and enjoyed the ducks and the arboretum. After that we went to Churchill Plaza for some bowling with Mom and Anthony. That was fun. Anthony wowed us all by getting 3 strikes in a row! Jim won both games. I didn't suck too bad at it either. After that we watched the rest of the movie from the night before and Jim got me some late night McDonalds, which then tortured my insides for the rest of the night. Today we slept in, checked out late and went for a drive to Batchewana Bay where Jim chatted up a store owner while I peed. Then we got a snack and drove to a dock and talked while we watched a water bomber practice in the bay. When we got back to town we went to the Steamy Bean for a cup of tea and then said our goodbyes. I didn't like that last bit. That, in a nutshell, was Jim's magical visit. I miss him already.

Now for the ultrasound! As you all know, I was very excited to find out the baby's gender. However, I was deeply disappointed to find out that at the Group Health Center, they aren't allowed to tell you! At the Doctor's building they are. Apparently I picked the wrong place to have my ultrasound! Therefore, I currently still do not know the sex of the baby, and have to wait until my midwives appointment on May 5th for that information. Not happy. Otherwise, the ultrasound was fun. We got to see the baby move around and got THREE new in-utero pictures of our little kicker.

While Jim was here we also made some decisions about where I would be for the remainder of my pregnancy, where the baby would be born and where we would be living for at least the first few months of parenthood. We had been considering my coming up to Sioux Lookout for a couple of months, then coming home for awhile, then going to Nova Scotia for the birth. However, because it is nearly impossible to find a place for us in Sioux and switching prenatal care twice in the next four months would be a huge pain, we decided that I will be going to Nova Scotia for the remainder of my pregnancy and staying with Jim's parents. Jim will be able to take his days off in Halifax, instead of spending huge amounts of money traveling here and paying for hotels and food. So we will still see eachother regularly until he takes his maternity leave. Jim's parents live in a big house in the country and he assures me that it is the most relaxing place I could hope to spend the remainder of my pregnancy. I'm really excited to meet his family too. So at the end of this month, I will be going to Winnipeg to visit Jocelyne and Jason, then flying from Winnipeg to Toronto on June 1st, where Jim and I will rendezvous and go to Nova Scotia together.

Technology is a marvelous thing, and because of telephones, e-mail, and Skype (a computer program with which you can have video conversations from computer to computer for free), anyone who wants to will be able to see me and the baby, and I will make a visit back to the Sault as soon as money and time permit it.

I'm emotionally and physically spent from the past four days, and I am now going to bed.

Much love,

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment